Go Back   Reno SCCA Discussion Forums > Reno SCCA News & Announcements > Road & Tach

Road & Tach Articles from the Reno Region Online Newsletter

Old 06-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
i.mini
Stock

Car: MINI Cooper S
Class: TDS / TDSL

i.mini is on a distinguished road
Red face Notes from the Solo Chair

I just wanted to say some quick words about chairing an event for those of you that will be doing that this season or next season or the season after that. I thought chairing this weekends event was awesome, fun, exciting, hilarious at times, and overall a great, great time.

I was little nervous about what kind of responsibilities I would have. Cory is super helpful, and you won't have to worry about pretty much anything. He helps design the course. I brought to him a design I made myself and the Dakar map, and he went ahead and transformed them into a course. I liked the Dakar one (keeping with the theme.. sorta). He was out there bright and early with Josh and I to layout all the cones (and we then adjusted the course to be drive-able and fun). He was always eager to answer questions and help me with any confusion I had.

The grid, featuring Debbie Kerswill's #88 Mazda RX-8

There is a spectacular team (Team Solo... I'm sure the "RPD recently endorses Team Solo" pics will be up soon) that helps with pretty much everything. They come out to help set up the course, chalk the boxes, tweak the course, and provide support. Can't thank the team enough for making the weekend a lot less tiring. I was not left alone to fend for myself out there.

Pretty much, as chair, you buy water, ice, give a speech, wake up early, and design a course. I hope more people will volunteer to chair. Not only does it keep the club and events running, but it's also a really good time.

-Iris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130609_092621.jpg
Views:	3138
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	278  

Last edited by sperry; 06-11-2013 at 08:36 AM.
i.mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
AlexR
Street Modified

Car: 05 Subaru STI/ 93 Imp
Class: BS/ RM2 /CRS Perf-Stock

AlexR is on a distinguished road

Thanks for chairing the event.

I absolutely loved the Sunday course!! Saturday's course was just as good, seemed like it had a few tighter corners (which I need work on) I really struggled on it, maybe it was more challenging or maybe i just sucked on Saturday... at any rate fun was had

thanks
AlexR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
dsmith
Regional Executive

Car: 97 Miata
Class: #66 W/CT D

dsmith is on a distinguished road

Great job, Iris. Thank you.
dsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
sperry
Webmaster

Car: 2002 WRX / 1996 Miata
Class: TT-A / CT-C

sperry is on a distinguished road

If anyone's got some pictures from the event, I'd like to add them to this thread and post it to the Road & Tach newsletter if no one minds.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Snoshado
Stock

Car: 2004 Forester
Class: SU

Snoshado is on a distinguished road

How does one volunteer for this so called "chair" position? I wouldn't mind trying it out once or twice this season!

I'll definitely say that I enjoyed the Sunday course more, mostly because it seemed faster to me. Good job for sure on the event - as usual, it was a fun weekend!
Snoshado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
i.mini
Stock

Car: MINI Cooper S
Class: TDS / TDSL

i.mini is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoshado View Post
How does one volunteer for this so called "chair" position? I wouldn't mind trying it out once or twice this season!
You just talk to Cory, and he sets it all up!
i.mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
grimace
Street Prepared

Car: Hype-R
Class: n/a

grimace is on a distinguished road

Well done for sure I'm just glad I didn't get hit by lightning being the tallest hah : P
grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
dknv
Street Modified

Car: Mazda
Class: CS

dknv is on a distinguished road

Kudos Iris, you did a great job!
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
dknv
Street Modified

Car: Mazda
Class: CS

dknv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
If anyone's got some pictures from the event, I'd like to add them to this thread and post it to the Road & Tach newsletter if no one minds.
I know Slayter was out there and probably got some good shots. I get so absorbed with the event action that I keep forgetting to take pictures myself. I only took 1 with my phone.

Some memorable moments in run group 2 at the finish: Bryan Nelson punting a cone that made some 360's up in the air. Vic screaming through the finish and bringing the car to a stop 2 or 3 inches beyond the finish wall, however with the mini being so narrow he didn't displace any of the wall cones. I *wish* we had a picture of that one. On the other hand Ken U in the GTR came through the finish so hot, he took out 3 cones in various places on the finish wall.

It was great to see a couple of the California drivers returning to compete this weekend (Al and Jeff), hopefully we'll see them again this season. Also, it was wonderful to see Randy and Peggy come out on Sunday, (Randy taking a co-drive with Dave Jansen).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130609_092621.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	277  

Last edited by dknv; 06-10-2013 at 05:58 PM.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
RenoRotary
Street Prepared

Car: 1990 Miata
Class: Tuner

RenoRotary is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.mini View Post
I'm sure the "RPD recently endorses Team Solo" pics will be up soon.
Hopefully not, haha.

and team solo is actually an exclusive group within the group, we don't want to be helpful or friendly in any way. Actually, rule one is not to talk about us.

In all seriousness, thanks for chairing the event, I only got to race one day, but enjoyed the course very much, and it was fun having you and Josh for the after event meal as well.

Last edited by RenoRotary; 06-10-2013 at 10:41 PM.
RenoRotary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
MPREZIV
Jack of all trades

Car: Yours.
Class: 05 W / 55 TT-A/X

MPREZIV is on a distinguished road

Thanks for putting up your thoughts on the weekend Iris! It's nice to hear that we were able to help make your weekend enjoyable, and not too difficult! You did a GREAT job!

All your hard work is greatly appreciated!

Dempsey, I've got chairs signed up for the rest of the year's events, but I would LOVE to have you help with an event! Maybe, if nothing else, you could CO-chair with someone experienced this year? It would give you a good chance to see what is needed from an event chair, and you'd be all ready to take on the task next year!?

Let me know what you think!
MPREZIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
AlexR
Street Modified

autocross needs more of those types of hair pins... though my parking brake probably needs some maintenance now oops
Old 06-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
jmanfoo
Street Prepared

Car: 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro
Class: SM

jmanfoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexR View Post
autocross needs more of those types of hair pins... though my parking brake probably needs some maintenance now oops
Do you have a rally setup with no push button? I wanted to try doing that but knew I would somehow not get the handle all the way back down or something. Tarmac is different than snow, lol. Then I saw you do it like it was no issue.
jmanfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #14
AlexR
Street Modified

thanks

Kinda of a rally setup, but not really. the STI was designed so that its safe on your center diff when you apply the E-brake. (I've read that it disengages the rear drive shaft from the center when the ebrake is applied)

I was just focusing on the weight transfer to minimize the abuse of the E-brake system, using the brake pedal to get the speed about right (left foot) , then turning left , then as you turn the steering wheel to the right an other dab of the brakes (right foot) when the car is actually turning right yank the ebrake (depress the clutch and hold it) put the ebrake back down rev up the motor , counter steer if needed and engage first ..

Probably exactly what you've done on the snow, although the STI computer controlled Center diff helps me out a bit.

I think the real secret is just a little bit of rally crossing to bridge the gap between snow and pavement..