Solo Discussion Discuss the Reno SCCA Solo/Autocross program

Old 06-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
dknv
Street Modified

Car: Mazda
Class: CS

dknv is on a distinguished road
Default Course direction and your performance

Did you ever notice whether a mostly-left-turning or mostly-right-turning course made you slower or faster? My theory is that I'm better on courses that go counter-clockwise. And Daughter Rach beats me on courses that go clockwise.

Might there be some scientific reason behind this? Rach beat my best time by a second on Saturday's course (clockwise). Between us, we have a theory that she'll be faster in one direction (maybe clockwise), and I have a chance of staying in front of her in the other direction. Good thing we usually have one of each over a weekend.

dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
sperry
Webmaster

Car: 2002 WRX / 1996 Miata
Class: TT-A / CT-C

sperry is on a distinguished road

It could be something as simple as being more comfortable with the width of the car on the left side because that's where you're sitting? Better view of the left fender, perhaps (can you see the hood of an RX-8 from the driver's seat, I've never been in one?).

From a physics standpoint, a non-cornerbalanced car should turn left better than right because of the driver's weight. But the difference is likely so, so small you wouldn't be able to quantify it except under laboratory conditions.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
AlexR
Street Modified

Car: 05 Subaru STI/ 93 Imp
Class: BS/ RM2 /CRS Perf-Stock

AlexR is on a distinguished road

I have slight cross camber in my car , where as Nick does not. and i think I usually beat him by a larger margin on Sundays... but that may not be the factor.. sample size is really small at this point ...

but i do wonder if it has something to do with being able to remember the course, Sunday courses always feel very very familiar to me.

Is Rachel beating you on sundays and you win on saturdays? or is it really the left turn bias ones? obviously for you, the car is taken out of the equation...

if that's the case i think the answer is pretty clear. brake less before right handers and or try to get closer to right hander apexes
Old 06-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
dsmith
Director

Car: 97 Miata
Class: #66 W/6 T5

dsmith is on a distinguished road

I've always done better on counter-clockwise courses, turning primarily left. I just feel more comfortable being on the inside of turns and therefore sub-consciously I'm not as timid and so I'm a bit faster, I guess. Maybe the little bits I gain by being closer to the cones turning left cut my times down a smidge from when I run mostly right handers?
dsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
dknv
Street Modified

I was wondering about this question because it might be worth some effort for me to work on my clockwise driving skills. To that point, I'm going to keep Alex's comment in mind for the next clockwise course ("brake less before right handers and or try to get closer to right hander apexes"). And Scott and Don, you are likely correct in that I'm probably more comfortable (even if subconsciously) with being able to see and judge left hand turns.

Last year at Nationals I did not do as well on day 1 (clockwise course), but had a much better day 2 on a counterclockwise course, which was totally different from day 1's layout, so I don't think that was a matter of familiarity.

I suppose some data logging, and keeping a diary could be helpful tools too.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
AlexR
Street Modified

If you have a droid the app "trackmaster" all 1 word is really cool. it measures your G forces to the hundredth (not sure exactly how accurate it is) .. But i've been using it to fine tune my tire pressures

I'm up to .96 Gs of lateral load (when not Ebraking) and actually exceeding 1G (1.16) in a e-brake induced 4 wheel drift, at least i assume that spike is from that maneuver .. Although i wonder if it has to do more with maybe the sample rate not being quick enough to figure out what exactly is going on

it has a nice view of where you drove and the G loads on each part of the course so you can figure out if you were coasting some where, or if you were turning at the limit of your car ..

at least if its as accurate as i'm assuming it is... and i'm now using 37 PSI on my front tires (I coned away a 45.1 at that setting)

also you could run it for both you and Rachel and really see if she is indeed turning right harder than you are.. it also shows speed

looking at my runs from the app see a few things i was doing wrong. doh coasted in 2 or 3 spots briefly, although one was on the rev limiter , and 2 were just before turns. braked too early on one, and just did a very slight left off on the other, probably could have stayed on the gas longer and trail braked my way around. maybe i should remove this app before it makes me depressed.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Kevin M
Street Modified

Car: 1993 Impreza wagon
Class: 19 FP

Kevin M is on a distinguished road

One thing to consider is that, generally speaking, we have faster, more open courses on Sundays than we do on Saturdays, though it doesn't always correlate to the clockwise/ccw direction. Some of us are better at tighter courses than others.
Kevin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
MattR
Solo Competitor

Car:
Class:

MattR is on a distinguished road

Very interesting topic, I haven't given it much thought in a while. I suppose I favor the Counter-clockwise courses (Maybe I should have been an oval racer), but I think mostly just because it feels natural to be on the inside of an arching turn. I'll have to pay some attention to my breaking points and attack of a right hander.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
dknv
Street Modified

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexR View Post
If you have a droid the app "trackmaster" all 1 word is really cool. it measures your G forces to the hundredth (not sure exactly how accurate it is) ...
I'm going to check that out!

Tight vs. open courses - I don't want to admit it, but it's likely my reaction time in transitions (i.e. that short slalom) has slowed down, while Rach's is in top form. Maybe that trackmaster app can show variations between our runs so I can better see where she's outrunning me.

Matt - I'd be interested in hearing your observations too, after the next events.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
roccojay
Novice

Car: 78 VW Scirocco
Class: TT-6

roccojay is on a distinguished road

Having driven right hand drive cars on the opposite side of the road, I have to agree with it being to inside of the corner. I think you see where you are in relation to your turn in point better.
roccojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
sperry
Webmaster

Car: 2002 WRX / 1996 Miata
Class: TT-A / CT-C

sperry is on a distinguished road

Clearly the answer is for everyone to buy single seater open wheel race cars. That way you're always on the "inside" side of every turn.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #12
AlexR
Street Modified

so KARTS will be the biggest class next year? or is everyone going A-mod?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
dknv
Street Modified

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Clearly the answer is for everyone to buy single seater open wheel race cars. That way you're always on the "inside" side of every turn.
I wish. I'd like to try a A/B/C mod car (just don't let Doug announce my 'BM' time, lol). However, I have no wish to try a shifter kart.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
Skyhorse
Regional Executive

Car: Formula 440-BMW M3-Datsun 510-Spec Miata
Class: All of them

Skyhorse is on a distinguished road

Debbie i will try to bring the F mod out this year if you want to try it. i know with racing bikes people tend to turn better one way than the other I was told it had to do with being right or left handed or was that right or left brained
Skyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #15
dknv
Street Modified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhorse View Post
Debbie i will try to bring the F mod out this year if you want to try it. i know with racing bikes people tend to turn better one way than the other I was told it had to do with being right or left handed or was that right or left brained
ooh, fun!
Well, I'm right handed, so is Rach. I wonder who are lefties in our group? Would like to ask them if they're more inclined to turning clockwise.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
AlexR
Street Modified

I'm no brained, so i turn both ways equally j/k

I'd hope with doing rally (and limited hill climb) that i've learned to turn both ways equally .. hmm i wonder if its too late to sign up for hoopa ? hmmm