Go Back   Reno SCCA Discussion Forums > Reno SCCA General > Technical Discussion

Technical Discussion Discuss car setups, driving technique, making horsepower, etc.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #1
Fuzzdoc
Novice

Car:
Class:

Fuzzdoc is on a distinguished road
Default Phone and/or GPS mounting

I was looking to get a good setup for lap times and I know a lot of people really like Harry's laptimer. I was hoping to go whole hog and do GoPro integration along with external GPS and OBD-II integration. Everything seems pretty straightforward other than what is the appropriate/legal/safe way to mount the phone in the car? RAM mounts seem very sturdy and recommended on the Harry's site, but are they legal for PDX/Club trials? And if not, any recommendations on the best way to set up the phone and GPS?

Thanks

Brian
Fuzzdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
TimoG
Street Prepared

Car: Formula FST
Class:

TimoG is on a distinguished road

I've been using a RAM suction mount plus the "X" mount to mount my Android phone in the MR2. Nobody's complained about that yet .

You'll have to experiment a little with the mounting location and possibly the mount if you're trying to use the phone to record video - I occasionally end up with videos that have a somewhat tilted horizon, plus at the autocross at Stead the phone was bouncing around so much that the result is pretty much unwatchable.

I think I would look into either mounting the phone holder such that the RAM mount arm is vertical, not horizontal like I normally do and possibly use the RAM three suction cup mount. There's a bit of "give" in the suction cup that doesn't help with the bouncing and having the arm horizontal seems to transmit the road undulations even more. Wasn't a problem at Thunderhill, but it was at Stead. Oddly enough, my GoPro doesn't seem to have that problem, but I haven't used it at Stead yet.

For in-car video, if you have a rollbar I would recommend mounting the phone or GoPro to the roll bar. That should be one of the most sturdy parts of the car, plus you can get nice and stable rollbar mounts.

Also, if you use Harry's Laptimer on an Android phone, there's a current limitation that prevents it from processing overlays for videos bigger than 2GB. On my phone, a 20 minute session results in about 2.25GB of video which means I'll have to use something like Race Render to process overlays. The iPhone version supposedly doesn't have this problem - that's "supposedly" because I have only read that it doesn't.

I haven't got an external GPS yet - I've used "proper" data loggers with 10Hz GPS updates in the past and they're much better, but to try out without a lot of investment, the 1Hz one built into the phone should work OK. That said, I'm probably going to get one of the recommended 5Hz or 10Hz ones sooner or later.

One other thing I noticed is that I would suggest to use the GoPro for the "main" video (especially if you have one of the later ones that do 4k) and use the phone for additional/auxiliary video. Even though my phone can record 4k video, the Android version of Harry's Lap Timer currently only seems to support 720p video on my phone.

Last edited by TimoG; 04-20-2015 at 11:51 AM.
TimoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:14 AM   #3
BillH
Street Prepared

Car: Corvette, Formula Ford
Class: Formula Ford

BillH is on a distinguished road

There's no requirement for video camera mounting in the TT/PDX rules (although there should be).

SFR region requires a tether on the camera and a separate tech sticker.

Just a note on camera position, while mounting the camera on the windshield can give you an entertaining video, that position isn't that great though.

A good vid (for you to learn from) should include the driver so you can see his hands and where he's looking or at least a partial view of the driver.

Yea, it's hard to do without a roll bar or harness bar.

Larry has the perfect mounting position in this vid (post #2).

http://www.renoscca.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2113
BillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:15 AM   #4
Fuzzdoc
Novice

Car:
Class:

Fuzzdoc is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. I definitely agree behind the driver is the way to go on video, and the cayman luckily has a support bar right between the seats.

I likely will try velcroing a skypro gps to the dash and either using the RAM mount or just tucking the phone into the center console if its a problem and checking times after the run.

The adventure begins...

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post
There's no requirement for video camera mounting in the TT/PDX rules (although there should be).

SFR region requires a tether on the camera and a separate tech sticker.

Just a note on camera position, while mounting the camera on the windshield can give you an entertaining video, that position isn't that great though.

A good vid (for you to learn from) should include the driver so you can see his hands and where he's looking or at least a partial view of the driver.

Yea, it's hard to do without a roll bar or harness bar.

Larry has the perfect mounting position in this vid (post #2).

http://www.renoscca.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2113
Fuzzdoc is offline   Reply With Quote