Go Back   Reno SCCA Discussion Forums > Reno SCCA General > Technical Discussion

Technical Discussion Discuss car setups, driving technique, making horsepower, etc.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
johnpatrickcrumley
Novice

Car:
Class:

johnpatrickcrumley is on a distinguished road
Default Critique my line at Fernley, or at least laugh at my pathetic spin...

Hello All,

My first day at Fernley was a blast. My instructor (Jerry) was awesome and Dean was a great help in the classroom sessions. You guys put on a great event and I will definitely be joining you again.

One lap with mistake at 23:
http://youtu.be/DK2G52UDWpo

I think I simply panicked when the car in front of me started to spin. I lifted and spun. I knew what I should have done (you can hear me at the end of the video say what I should have done). At least I kept the car on the track, didn't stall, and looked for direction from the corner worker. If I am wrong, please let me know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I don't want make an ass of myself again...

Another lap:

http://youtu.be/2r1I7Ogg-1g

I was concentrating on consistency and smoothness figuring speed would come later. Please let me know if I succeeded. Looking at my head position, I think I am looking at the current apex or at best, one step beyond that. I need to work on looking well beyond the apex...
johnpatrickcrumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:48 AM   #2
BillH
Street Prepared

Car: Corvette, Formula Ford
Class: Formula Ford

BillH is on a distinguished road

I've been out with Jerry in his Lotus, he runs good lines and had you on them.

Actually, there are no big corrections to the lines you are driving. There are some tweeks that could improve your laptimes but certainly nothing stands out as incorrect. I'd say they are nice laps for your first time at the track.

You are holding the car a bit tight in a few corners (not letting it track out on corner exit). Happens on the down hill right hander before the horseshoe (T21) and a bit exiting 23. Again, a tweek not a correction.

Don't worry about the spin, you watched the M3 spin and turned left to avoid it (just a tad too much). You didn't panic. Better to spin there than to get closer to a spinning car. Not a big deal.

As far as looking ahead and smoothness - better than most new drivers.

Bill
BillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:35 AM   #3
johnpatrickcrumley
Novice

Car:
Class:

Thanks Bill. I looked back at before T21 and 23 and it looks like my head is facing the apex and not the track out and/or next turn. Maybe I should try looking beyond the apex, at least at the track out and that will help me unwind better.

Thanks again!
Old 07-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
BillH
Street Prepared

Car: Corvette, Formula Ford
Class: Formula Ford

BillH is on a distinguished road

In 23 you should be looking at the apex just before turn in. As you start t turn in you should be looking the whole way across the pit entrance line (there's actually a telephone pole out a ways that makes a good aim point).

The one thing you don't want to do is get more than 6 inches away from the apex rumble strip (1 inch off is best). With the nature of this turn, the further away from the rumble strip you get, the easier it is to spin.

Looking ahead is very important but in a double corner (like 2 & 3) you can look too far ahead.
Example: On the first vid, as you reach the apex in 2, you are looking at the apex in T3. Normally this is a good thing but in this double corner, you are loosing time because you aren't using the whole track. If you look across the track and track out in the middle you can go full throttle 10 -20 feet before the apex in 3. You travel slightly more distance but the early acceleration is worth it.

But, nobody in PDX (and a bunch in the other groups) runs these 2 turns the fast way (until they actually see the advantage in a car).
BillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
johnpatrickcrumley
Novice

Car:
Class:

Wow. Thanks Bill. It may be 20+ more hours of track time until I really digest what you are saying, but I can logically understand and appreciate your experience and advice. Thanks man, it is great to hear what is possible and what to shoot for!