Go Back   Reno SCCA Discussion Forums > Reno SCCA General > General Club Discussion

General Club Discussion Talk about Reno SCCA in general; including club announcements, social events planning, sizing up and/or psyching-out your opponents, etc.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
jag
Novice

Car:
Class:

jag is on a distinguished road
Default Where to Roll Your Fenders?

I have a 2004 miata and will be lowering the car with some wider wheels and tires. Where have you guys gone (local shop) in order to have it professionally done? I want it done right. Thanks!
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
Kevin M
Street Modified

Car: 1993 Impreza wagon
Class: 19 FP

Kevin M is on a distinguished road

Just about any body shop in the area can probably do it, especially the ones who do custom non-insurance work. Concours and Shaber Auto Body get good reviews around here, though I don't know specifically if they do fender rolling.
Kevin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
solonut
Street Modified

Car: Miata
Class: ES/ST

solonut is on a distinguished road

Pete....usually we roll the fenders on the car.....

I'll ck if my friend still has his and get back to you....Pat
Old 07-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
jag
Novice

Car:
Class:

Is it the eastwood roller that you use? That's what I've heard works the best but... lol I've never seen it done either. I cringe at the stories of damaged fenders and paint cracking off since the car is in perfect condition. That's just me and this car though. If it were beat up some I really wouldn't care less. Thanks for checking. I will check Concours and Shaber Auto Body too. This seems like a pretty cool community.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:56 AM   #5
solonut
Street Modified

Class: ES/ST

solonut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag View Post
Is it the eastwood roller that you use? That's what I've heard works the best but... lol I've never seen it done either. I cringe at the stories of damaged fenders and paint cracking off since the car is in perfect condition. That's just me and this car though. If it were beat up some I really wouldn't care less. Thanks for checking. I will check Concours and Shaber Auto Body too. This seems like a pretty cool community.
The eastwood roller is what I've used.....just use a heat gun to keep the paint pliable and take your time.....how wide & what offset wheel are you planning to run???....

If you go to concours, talk to Jerry as he autocrosses with us.....

do you plan to come out next weekend for the auto-x @ Reno/Fernley raceway next Saturday???.......Pat
Old 07-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
jag
Novice

Car:
Class:

Getting the 15x9 6ULs +36 with the Toyo R1R's in a 225/45/15. Ordered them from Goodwin as a combo so I could take advantage of the free mounting and balancing they were offering. I should have them here by Tues or Wed. I'll also be getting the FCM coilovers from Shaikh and since I'll be in or around San Jose he's going to install for me later in this month.
I'd like to have it ready so that when he installs and drops the height, there hopefully won't be any rubbing issues. That would suck.
That's why I'd like to find a reputable (local) shop to do the roll soon. Lol. I went to one "so called reputable shop" and he said he used a pipe and that unfortunately the paint will crack. No thanks! I'll be out of town Saturday the 11th. I'll probably leave Thursday so I won't be able to make it to the auto-x but that would have been good to do. Thanks solo, I've appreciated all the insight you've provided.

Last edited by jag; 07-04-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
jag
Novice

Car:
Class:

Here's a link to another forum w/ pics of the exact combo installed on the exact same car as mine (just so you get a visual idea). He's at a stock ride height.
http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/in...c,17136.0.html
Old 07-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
miataman
Street Prepared

Class: SSM

miataman is on a distinguished road

I went the flare route on for my 15x9s on my 91 and have a FMC suspension too. I am running a 25mm spacer from hr to go along with the +36 offset with just enough room on the outside and tons on the inside to later run custom 11 inch wheels for a 275 hoosier. Did all work on my car myself and will never dream of anyone else touching the car. I might recomend going with a 225 50 15 if it is availible in your tire. My 225 50 15's stretch to get over the 9. Ever think about rollyourfender.com? Worst that could happen is cracked paint, and a trip to the bodyshop. Best would be you did it yourself and saved money.