Go Back   Reno SCCA Discussion Forums > Reno SCCA General > General Club Discussion

General Club Discussion Talk about Reno SCCA in general; including club announcements, social events planning, sizing up and/or psyching-out your opponents, etc.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #1
dsmith
Regional Executive

Car: 97 Miata
Class: #66 W/CT D

dsmith is on a distinguished road
Wink Reno-Fernley Raceway

Dave Deborde, Andy Ross, and myself met with the new owner of RFR Dan Shore on Wednesday and toured the track. Dan is truly one of us: a gear head and track rat, and comes from the Bay Area track scene of running at Sonoma, Laguna Seca, and Thunderhill, so the man knows what a good track should be like and have. He has solid ideas and plans for RFR and realistic cost estimates and projections. All in all RFR is in good hands finally.

His timeline is lengthy and much investment is still needed and he's searching for investment partners, but he's looking to start repaving next year (a complete reconstruction really) of the existing lower course with a small section up the hill and back down to get that usable and start bringing in some income. Infrastructure and other improvements would follow. There's a ton of work to be done to bring RFR up to standards, but he's aware of all of it.

So, there may be light at the end of the tunnel for a quality road course in our back yard.

Don
dsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:06 PM   #2
Jerry 92RR
Street Prepared

Car: Lotus SC & BMW M3
Class: CTX & CTB

Jerry 92RR is on a distinguished road

That's very encouraging and thanks for the update.
I really look forward to hitting RFR again.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:01 AM   #3
stevewaclo
Street Prepared

Car: 1987 Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio 2018 Class Champion
Class: ES

stevewaclo is on a distinguished road

Hey Don,

I was watching for news in the Solo Forum and overlooked this report.

On behalf of all members, thanks to you and the gang for making a pilgrimage to RFR and keeping us all informed!

I’ve already commented in the Solo section on the possibility of Autocross on the upper track later this summer and I’m sure many members would step up enthusiastically if a call for a cleanup crew were to be made. I trust this will be a topic of discussion at our meeting in August, although the sooner the better.

Did you pilgrims make any photos of the area in question to provide a sense of the challenge? Google Earth is somewhat informative, but any pictures from “boots on the ground” would be best!

Regarding RFR sponsors, I’ll check under my couch cushions .

Once again, thanks to you, Dave and Andy for being on top of this developing situation!
Old 07-23-2019, 09:30 PM   #4
Thibodaux
Novice

Car: 1998 Mustang
Class:

Thibodaux is on a distinguished road
Default Ready to help

There are people that are willing to donate time, me included, keep us informed. So ready to have a track 20 minutes from home!!!!!
Thibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote