Go Back   Reno SCCA Discussion Forums > Reno SCCA General > Technical Discussion

Technical Discussion Discuss car setups, driving technique, making horsepower, etc.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #1
teinesina
Stock

Car: MINI Countryman S ALL4
Class:

teinesina is on a distinguished road
Default Best brake pads for autocross?

What’s a good autocross brake pad? I don’t care about noise or dust. Hawk HP plus sounds like a good option.

Last edited by teinesina; 07-01-2019 at 09:36 AM.
teinesina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:45 AM   #2
teinesina
Stock

Class:

Well I ordered EBC yellow stuff. I guess we will see...
Old 07-02-2019, 02:44 PM   #3
dsmith
Regional Executive

Car: 97 Miata
Class: #66 W/CT D

dsmith is on a distinguished road

I've used Yellow Stuff before on my Miata, and liked them as both a daily driver and AutoX pad. They dust and might get a bit noisy, but they work pretty good.
dsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:33 PM   #4
teinesina
Stock

Class:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith View Post
I've used Yellow Stuff before on my Miata, and liked them as both a daily driver and AutoX pad. They dust and might get a bit noisy, but they work pretty good.
Thanks for the input Don
Old 07-04-2019, 04:03 PM   #5
s2k_josh
Street Prepared

Car: black ap2 s2k
Class: race wars

s2k_josh is on a distinguished road

A little late,but I was gonna say for autox/street most OEM pads will be more than adequate. And in some cases, most will be cheaper than an aftermarket equivalent and last longer/dust less/make less noise etc.
Ebc, no matter the color will be good enough for autox/street.
Pedal feel seemed to get softer on the greens on the Mini, the reds were a nice upgrade over the stock pads for that car but I never read a recommendation FOR them over stock on my car so I never tried them and came to the conclusion that not every pad manufacturer will work the same on all cars. Just a reason to buy more things to to tinker with.
I run Ferodo ds2500 now, never like carbotech xp8/xp10, because you had to really get your foot into the pedal to get more braking out of it.
Winmax w4 is great but expensive and seems to be the top choice of s2000 "track guys" ....too much for street. I'd probably go down to the w3 if I bought them again.
but we keep Ebc on the Mini
Don't over think it.
s2k_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #6
teinesina
Stock

Class:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2k_josh View Post
A little late,but I was gonna say for autox/street most OEM pads will be more than adequate. And in some cases, most will be cheaper than an aftermarket equivalent and last longer/dust less/make less noise etc.
Ebc, no matter the color will be good enough for autox/street.
Pedal feel seemed to get softer on the greens on the Mini, the reds were a nice upgrade over the stock pads for that car but I never read a recommendation FOR them over stock on my car so I never tried them and came to the conclusion that not every pad manufacturer will work the same on all cars. Just a reason to buy more things to to tinker with.
I run Ferodo ds2500 now, never like carbotech xp8/xp10, because you had to really get your foot into the pedal to get more braking out of it.
Winmax w4 is great but expensive and seems to be the top choice of s2000 "track guys" ....too much for street. I'd probably go down to the w3 if I bought them again.
but we keep Ebc on the Mini
Don't over think it.

Thanks Josh, I appreciate the input. Itís actually for the bimmer, itís at <3mm on all 4 corners (at 25000 miles, gee how did that happen?). Sounds like I will be ok with the ebcís. I have carbotech xp10s on the mini and with slotted rotors and stainless lines it grabbed pretty good, but sounds like it wouldnít be so great with stock set up. There doesnít seem to be a carbotech fitment for the M240 anyway. And with the stock class i cant upgrade rotors/lines anyway. Im thinking I could have saved the money on the ebcs, I didnít really have anything against the oem, but oh well...