Go Back   Reno SCCA Discussion Forums > Reno SCCA General > Technical Discussion

Technical Discussion Discuss car setups, driving technique, making horsepower, etc.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
Pack Leader
Street Prepared

Car: Civic Si
Class: TSMF

Pack Leader is on a distinguished road
Default Setting Preload on a multi-link rear

Anyone have any experience with coilovers on a multi-link rear suspension (springs separate from shocks). Specifically, setting preload. I have heard that everything from you can't set preload, to using the shock to pull the whole suspension arm up (seems like that would severely limit suspension travel?).
Here is what the set-up looks like:
Pack Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
BillH
Street Prepared

Car: Corvette, Formula Ford
Class: Formula Ford

BillH is on a distinguished road

With your setup in full droop (like the pic), loosen the spring adjuster until the spring slightly rattles, then anything you crank into the spring is preload.

What exactly are you looking for?

Preload settings would be the last thing I'd be concerned with, ride height then, setting corner weights are more important.

If the top attachment of the shock is adjustable, you may be able to pull the suspension up a bit to adjust ride height. Then use the spring adjustment for corner weight.

If you're concerned about suspension travel, o-ring the shock rod and do a run then, see how much travel you've used (this only works in bump).
BillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
Pack Leader
Street Prepared

Car: Civic Si
Class: TSMF

Pack Leader is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post
With your setup in full droop (like the pic), loosen the spring adjuster until the spring slightly rattles, then anything you crank into the spring is preload.

What exactly are you looking for?

Preload settings would be the last thing I'd be concerned with, ride height then, setting corner weights are more important.

If the top attachment of the shock is adjustable, you may be able to pull the suspension up a bit to adjust ride height. Then use the spring adjustment for corner weight.

If you're concerned about suspension travel, o-ring the shock rod and do a run then, see how much travel you've used (this only works in bump).

The system is done in opposite of what you are suggesting. The spring and its perches are where you adjust the ride height. Any adjustment of those perches will affect ride height before anything. You would be raising the car 3+ inches before you would ever be able to stop the spring from any movement using those collars.
Pack Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
sperry
Webmaster

Car: 2002 WRX / 1996 Miata
Class: TT-A / CT-C

sperry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Leader View Post
The system is done in opposite of what you are suggesting. The spring and its perches are where you adjust the ride height. Any adjustment of those perches will affect ride height before anything. You would be raising the car 3+ inches before you would ever be able to stop the spring from any movement using those collars.
That's what I was thinking... on a spring perch like that, you can't set ride height and pre-load independently. You would need a double adjustable perch to do that.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
BillH
Street Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Leader View Post
I probably wasn't clear enough.
If you adjust the spring perch, it will affect ride height (I said corner weight but should have said both ride and weight).
Old 11-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
BillH
Street Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
That's what I was thinking... on a spring perch like that, you can't set ride height and pre-load independently. You would need a double adjustable perch to do that.
Right, the only other system that will be independent is a pushrod/bellcrank system.