Go Back   Reno SCCA Discussion Forums > Reno SCCA Programs > Rallycross Discussion

Rallycross Discussion Discuss the Reno SCCA Rallycross program

Old 06-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Luke
n00b!

Car:
Class:

Luke is on a distinguished road
Default Getting started

Hi, i am new to this site, and i have a question. What do you guys do about insurance for your rally car? i plan on buying an old beat up bmw 325i to race but do i have to get insurance for it? Can i just get one day insurance for the day i use it or what? if so, how much does it cost?
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
sperry
Webmaster

Car: 2002 WRX / 1996 Miata
Class: TT-A / CT-C

sperry is on a distinguished road

Most rally cars need to be street legal, so you have to have whatever insurance is required for registration in your state/county. But virtually no insurance company that will insure for the street will cover you in a competitive event, so really you're only covered during stage transition driving on the public streets, and not at all when you're on the clock.

There are race-only insurance companies, but they're extremely expensive (several hundred dollars a day and up based on the car/event) and I don't know that they cover off-road rally (I've only heard of it for HPDE and trials type track events). So I can't imagine that anyone has insurance on a rally car for on course coverage. Frankly, if you can't afford to write off the car, you can't afford to go rally racing.

Last edited by sperry; 06-25-2012 at 10:57 AM.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
Luke
n00b!

Car:
Class:

Luke is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your answer. It was very helpful.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Pack Leader
Street Prepared

Car: Civic Si
Class: TSMF

Pack Leader is on a distinguished road

If you plan on driving it to the race it has to be fully insured just like any street car. If you're towing it, no insurance needed, though I'm sure there are specialty companies out there that charge a pretty penny.
Pack Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
sperry
Webmaster

Car: 2002 WRX / 1996 Miata
Class: TT-A / CT-C

sperry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Leader View Post
If you plan on driving it to the race it has to be fully insured just like any street car. If you're towing it, no insurance needed, though I'm sure there are specialty companies out there that charge a pretty penny.
Don't most rally's have transit stages between the timed states that require driving on public streets? I thought most rally series require cars to be registered and street legal for that reason.

An alternative might be to get a 2-day movement permit from the DMV, but I think even those require proof of insurance.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
Pack Leader
Street Prepared

Car: Civic Si
Class: TSMF

Pack Leader is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Don't most rally's have transit stages between the timed states that require driving on public streets? I thought most rally series require cars to be registered and street legal for that reason.

An alternative might be to get a 2-day movement permit from the DMV, but I think even those require proof of insurance.
I honestly have no idea. I was just thinking in the mode of rallyx.
Pack Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
pomspeed
Stock

Car: anything I can, WRX for RX, STi for autox, hillclimbs, RX
Class: PA-RX, SA-RX, BS-Autox

pomspeed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Hi, i am new to this site, and i have a question. What do you guys do about insurance for your rally car? i plan on buying an old beat up bmw 325i to race but do i have to get insurance for it? Can i just get one day insurance for the day i use it or what? if so, how much does it cost?

Did you mean rally or did you mean you want to buy a 325i for rallycross? Insurance is the cheapest part if you mean rally, because cage and the rest of the safety equipment is going to be around $10,000, but if you mean rallycross, unless you plan to tow it to events, just think of it as a spare/second car that you would be driving on the street, meaning yes just get regular car insurance and you are good to go.

Brent
pomspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
03flat4
n00b!

Car: STI
Class: BS

03flat4 is on a distinguished road

How common is it for people to bring their DD to RallyX events? What I am wondering is, my DD is a 2011 STI. I would love to RallyX it. Love Rally but hate to damage the car. Of course if I do that, I would like to protect it the best I can. I would assume a Steel skid plate protecting everything under the engine bay would be probably #1, as well as mudflaps. With no car in front of me, I wouldn't think I'd need to tape the front of the car?

When I was in Vegas, I never took my car to the local dry lake beds because all we had was huge amounts of dust, which got everywhere, and unless we taped up all the cracks, dust got in places you would never get out lol. Do you guys also end up with dirt getting in every nook and cranny of your cars here?
03flat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
solonut
Street Modified

Car: Miata
Class: ES/ST

solonut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03flat4 View Post
How common is it for people to bring their DD to RallyX events? What I am wondering is, my DD is a 2011 STI. I would love to RallyX it. Love Rally but hate to damage the car. Of course if I do that, I would like to protect it the best I can. I would assume a Steel skid plate protecting everything under the engine bay would be probably #1, as well as mudflaps. With no car in front of me, I wouldn't think I'd need to tape the front of the car?

When I was in Vegas, I never took my car to the local dry lake beds because all we had was huge amounts of dust, which got everywhere, and unless we taped up all the cracks, dust got in places you would never get out lol. Do you guys also end up with dirt getting in every nook and cranny of your cars here?
I run my DD Miata...I just take the airhose to it and blow it out.