Go Back   Reno SCCA Discussion Forums > Off Topic > Motorsports

Motorsports Talk about non-Reno SCCA Region motorsports, track-days, autocrosses, NASCAR/F1, etc.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
Dean
Assistant Regional Executive & Chief Instructor

Car: '04 Subaru WRX STI
Class: TSM

Dean is on a distinguished road
Default Thunderhill performance driving events January 9,10,11!!!

All of these are open to all car brands. Thunderhill is about an hour North of Sac. on I-5 in Willows, CA.

Friday is T.E.A.M. $160 for the day.

Sat.-Sun. is Audi Club $450 for 2 days + hot lunches, Friday reception food, Saturday banquet and event memento (usually a long sleeve shirt of some form). (Audi Club Membership is $44/year and is required but good for all events. Laguna Seca is Feb.!!!)

First, Thunderhill Raceway Park is probably one of the best tracks on the West coast to learn at for all levels: Novice to advanced drivers. There is plenty of run off, wide surface, elevation changes, etc... January at Thunderhill is a good chance for rain which is great to learn to drive your AWD...

So, what are the differences between the two groups, and why are the prices so different...

TEAM is a great group, and tries to get you the most track time for the least money... They choose weekdays because track rental is cheaper. Only novices are really guaranteed in car instruction and things are just a bit less structured and the advanced group can get a little sketchy with open passing and impatient drivers. They provide drinks and granola bars.

The Audi club is also a great group and is more focused on instruction and ongoing improvement for all levels. They choose weekends which are more expensive for track rental. Every student gets an in-car instructor and classroom instruction. Almost all of these instructors are very experienced with AWD and thus Subaru friendly! Passing is strictly controlled in all run groups. Novices also do car control exercises the first morning in the paddock. They include food except for breakfast from the time you arrive Friday until you leave Sunday. Reception munchies, 2 hot lunches, and a Saturday Banquet at the local steak house.

I am an instructor for TEAM (Likely doing the novice classroom sessions), and A Chief instructor for the Audi club and will be teaching their intermediate and advanced group class sessions.

I strongly recommend this track and both of these events...

Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
S2kreno
Street Prepared

Car: A pretty yellow S2000
Class: none :)

S2kreno is on a distinguished road

Maybe I can spring the Monster from the Lotus dealer's and bring him down.If I still own the little bugger at that point
Old 12-22-2008, 08:14 AM   #3
Jimmy Geck
Novice

Car: 01 Roush Mustang
Class: PDX

Jimmy Geck is on a distinguished road

Dean do you know of any clubs that would let 2 drivers share 1 car for a PDX/HPDE? So say there 4 sessions, each driver drives 2 sessions to limit abuse on the car.
Jimmy Geck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Geck View Post
Dean do you know of any clubs that would let 2 drivers share 1 car for a PDX/HPDE? So say there 4 sessions, each driver drives 2 sessions to limit abuse on the car.
Not really. Costs are really per driver, not car so much.

Most will gladly let you run the same car in multiple run groups. PDX/HPDE really should not represent "abuse" to a car. Driver's abuse cars, not the track. A day at the track in many respects represents less wear than a day at autocross.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
Jimmy Geck
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Not really. Costs are really per driver, not car so much.

Most will gladly let you run the same car in multiple run groups. PDX/HPDE really should not represent "abuse" to a car. Driver's abuse cars, not the track. A day at the track in many respects represents less wear than a day at autocross.
Not in my dads car. Its a sissy when it comes to the track. Over heats too much. My car on the other hand could run all day and never flinch.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
Dean

Quote:
Not in my dads car. Its a sissy when it comes to the track. Over heats too much. My car on the other hand could run all day and never flinch.
So, fix the overheating problem!!!
Old 12-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
Jimmy Geck
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
So, fix the overheating problem!!!
We and the Bensons have tried. 3 Motors and 1 rebuild. a New larger Radiatior, lower thermostat and we run the fan 100% of the time on the track to keep it at 210. no fan and it hits 230 in 1 lap. Ford Mod motors suck. Now My V6 never even gets hot. The only thing it needs after a day of racing is more fuel.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:49 PM   #8
Dean

Quote:
We and the Bensons have tried. 3 Motors and 1 rebuild. a New larger Radiatior, lower thermostat and we run the fan 100% of the time on the track to keep it at 210. no fan and it hits 230 in 1 lap. Ford Mod motors suck. Now My V6 never even gets hot. The only thing it needs after a day of racing is more fuel.
Sound like it needs different fuel and timing under load.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #9
MattR
Solo Competitor

Car: 2002 BMW M3
Class: 41 FS

MattR is on a distinguished road

Dean, please return my tires with no tread on them. TIA. Have fun.
MattR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #10
AlexR
Street Modified

Car: 05 Subaru STI/ 93 Imp
Class: BS/ RM2 /CRS Perf-Stock

AlexR is on a distinguished road

Would TEAM accept a NASA track gift certificate? (I'm guessing no, but doesn't hurt to check) I won a free track day at Thill from the 06 Rally cross series, but i have yet to use it..
Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #11
solonut
Street Modified

Car: Miata
Class: ES/ST

solonut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexR View Post
Would TEAM accept a NASA track gift certificate? (I'm guessing no, but doesn't hurt to check) I won a free track day at Thill from the 06 Rally cross series, but i have yet to use it..
Alex...e-mail Bonnie bonni@weatherwax.net
and ask her as its her track day....