Thread: Getting started
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
sperry's Avatar
Real Name: Scott Perry
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,152
Car: 2002 WRX / 1996 Miata
Class: TT-A / CT-C
sperry is on a distinguished road

Most rally cars need to be street legal, so you have to have whatever insurance is required for registration in your state/county. But virtually no insurance company that will insure for the street will cover you in a competitive event, so really you're only covered during stage transition driving on the public streets, and not at all when you're on the clock.

There are race-only insurance companies, but they're extremely expensive (several hundred dollars a day and up based on the car/event) and I don't know that they cover off-road rally (I've only heard of it for HPDE and trials type track events). So I can't imagine that anyone has insurance on a rally car for on course coverage. Frankly, if you can't afford to write off the car, you can't afford to go rally racing.
Slow cars make faster drivers... at least that's what I'm telling myself.

Last edited by sperry; 06-25-2012 at 10:57 AM.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote