Reno SCCA Discussion Forums

Reno SCCA Discussion Forums (//www.renoscca.org/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (//www.renoscca.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   SLA/DWB vs. Strut in FWD Applications (//www.renoscca.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2317)

Wheelman89 04-17-2016 05:05 PM

SLA/DWB vs. Strut in FWD Applications

Hi all, I trust you're doing well.

The vehicle that occupies my thoughts at the moment is the Honda Accord Coupe. It is considered a great car by most but falls short in a few areas, but what stock car doesn't. Anyway, the current generation employs a mcpherson strut front suspension while the eighth generation had/has a double wishbone front suspension.

Unfortunately I don't have any measurements on either design's geometry or any specifics beyond the below linked page, but which suspension would be better if I wanted to build a sporty-ish car, whether it be AX or HPDE?

Thanks

Link

ylwtulp 04-18-2016 06:49 AM

Everything else being equal, a double A arm (or double wishbone) suspension is going to be superior to a strut type, but sometimes it comes down to what is available on the market for upgrading the existing configuration. Then there is the condition of said suspension. An A arm type with shot bushing is not going to be better than a strut. Also, if the strut type generations have a better engine or lighter weight chassis or better brakes and so on, I might choose them.

Wheelman89 04-20-2016 03:13 PM

Thanks John.

I found the Car and Driver test sheets for the 2008 and 2016 versions of the cars and they are virtually identical, with a slight edge to the 2008.

2008 Test Data Sheet

2016 Test Data Sheet

miataman 04-21-2016 01:08 PM

Agreed with John on this, but would like to add some hate on the Strut. The advantages of a McPherson strut are cost and space. Double wishbones take up more space that is of a premium. This is especially the case in a transverse engine, front wheel drive car. Even more so when that engine/trans. gets longer. The other advantage is cost for the manufacture. The McPherson strut is cheaper for them. McPherson struts also typically have a poor camber gain. That is to say that as the suspension goes into bump the tire looses or gains very little negative camber. You want negative camber gain so that as a chassis rolls in a turn the tire's contact patch gets better and better. Obviously not ideal to loose camber in this situation. This is why most McPherson strut cars run really stiff springs to prevent the suspension from moving much, preserving their aggressive alignments. Obviously I vote Double A arm.