Reno SCCA Discussion Forums

Reno SCCA Discussion Forums (//www.renoscca.org/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (//www.renoscca.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Membership meeting 10/3/18 (//www.renoscca.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2659)

dsmith 09-27-2018 08:06 PM

Membership meeting 10/3/18

Don't forget the general membership meeting this coming Wednesday, 10/3/18 at Mimi's Cafe in Reno.

stevewaclo 10-01-2018 08:45 PM

Per earlier announcements, 6:45, correct?

stevewaclo 10-01-2018 09:19 PM

What's wrong with this picture?

Happened to be perusing this season's overall Autocross class standings as laid out here:

https://www.renoscca.org/results/sol...Standings.html

and, after reviewing stats from the "usual suspects", I scrolled down further and looked at participation in the Novice category.

WTF?

Look at how many novices have joined us for Autocross only once or twice, never to be heard from again! If you have yet to do so, open the link and do a quick count. The numbers speak for themselves and are a reason for some pessimism about the Club's future.

While I appreciate encouraging participation and finding new members is a concern shared by everyone, I believe at the meeting Wednesday, we should open for discussion why so many novices don't become regulars and what we may be able to do about the situation.

I'm planning to be there Wednesday and, agenda permitting, will have some additional thoughts to share.

Best.

heavyfuel 10-02-2018 08:01 PM

Steve, if you look at previous years results, you'll find that behavior is quite typical. many novices come out for a time or two, then never again or not until next year. Only a small percentage stick around. Some come back the next year, or go on to do track events. Personally i think it has to do with autocross being a long term investment, getting to the top of even local competition takes years and bucks.

That said, i'm all for retention ideas if you have some