Reno SCCA Discussion Forums

Reno SCCA Discussion Forums (//www.renoscca.org/forums/index.php)
-   Rallycross Discussion (//www.renoscca.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Getting started (//www.renoscca.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1447)

Luke 06-22-2012 06:43 PM

Getting started

Hi, i am new to this site, and i have a question. What do you guys do about insurance for your rally car? i plan on buying an old beat up bmw 325i to race but do i have to get insurance for it? Can i just get one day insurance for the day i use it or what? if so, how much does it cost?

sperry 06-22-2012 08:30 PM

Most rally cars need to be street legal, so you have to have whatever insurance is required for registration in your state/county. But virtually no insurance company that will insure for the street will cover you in a competitive event, so really you're only covered during stage transition driving on the public streets, and not at all when you're on the clock.

There are race-only insurance companies, but they're extremely expensive (several hundred dollars a day and up based on the car/event) and I don't know that they cover off-road rally (I've only heard of it for HPDE and trials type track events). So I can't imagine that anyone has insurance on a rally car for on course coverage. Frankly, if you can't afford to write off the car, you can't afford to go rally racing.

Luke 06-25-2012 09:13 AM

Thank you for your answer. It was very helpful.

Pack Leader 06-26-2012 10:54 AM

If you plan on driving it to the race it has to be fully insured just like any street car. If you're towing it, no insurance needed, though I'm sure there are specialty companies out there that charge a pretty penny.

sperry 06-26-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pack Leader (Post 10908)
If you plan on driving it to the race it has to be fully insured just like any street car. If you're towing it, no insurance needed, though I'm sure there are specialty companies out there that charge a pretty penny.

Don't most rally's have transit stages between the timed states that require driving on public streets? I thought most rally series require cars to be registered and street legal for that reason.

An alternative might be to get a 2-day movement permit from the DMV, but I think even those require proof of insurance.

Pack Leader 06-26-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 10909)
Don't most rally's have transit stages between the timed states that require driving on public streets? I thought most rally series require cars to be registered and street legal for that reason.

An alternative might be to get a 2-day movement permit from the DMV, but I think even those require proof of insurance.

I honestly have no idea. I was just thinking in the mode of rallyx.

pomspeed 07-03-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke (Post 10875)
Hi, i am new to this site, and i have a question. What do you guys do about insurance for your rally car? i plan on buying an old beat up bmw 325i to race but do i have to get insurance for it? Can i just get one day insurance for the day i use it or what? if so, how much does it cost?

Did you mean rally or did you mean you want to buy a 325i for rallycross? Insurance is the cheapest part if you mean rally, because cage and the rest of the safety equipment is going to be around $10,000, but if you mean rallycross, unless you plan to tow it to events, just think of it as a spare/second car that you would be driving on the street, meaning yes just get regular car insurance and you are good to go.

Brent

03flat4 10-22-2012 11:50 AM

How common is it for people to bring their DD to RallyX events? What I am wondering is, my DD is a 2011 STI. I would love to RallyX it. Love Rally but hate to damage the car. Of course if I do that, I would like to protect it the best I can. I would assume a Steel skid plate protecting everything under the engine bay would be probably #1, as well as mudflaps. With no car in front of me, I wouldn't think I'd need to tape the front of the car?

When I was in Vegas, I never took my car to the local dry lake beds because all we had was huge amounts of dust, which got everywhere, and unless we taped up all the cracks, dust got in places you would never get out lol. Do you guys also end up with dirt getting in every nook and cranny of your cars here?

solonut 10-22-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03flat4 (Post 11606)
How common is it for people to bring their DD to RallyX events? What I am wondering is, my DD is a 2011 STI. I would love to RallyX it. Love Rally but hate to damage the car. Of course if I do that, I would like to protect it the best I can. I would assume a Steel skid plate protecting everything under the engine bay would be probably #1, as well as mudflaps. With no car in front of me, I wouldn't think I'd need to tape the front of the car?

When I was in Vegas, I never took my car to the local dry lake beds because all we had was huge amounts of dust, which got everywhere, and unless we taped up all the cracks, dust got in places you would never get out lol. Do you guys also end up with dirt getting in every nook and cranny of your cars here?

I run my DD Miata...I just take the airhose to it and blow it out.